With the recent rise in school violence across the country, Ohio has responded with increased funding to help K-12 schools prepare for and respond to safety concerns.
“Having a safe environment for learning is crucial for our children,” Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost said regarding the new FY22 School Safety Grant from House Bill 110. He hopes this new grant, which is providing $11 million to schools, will enhance school safety and security.
We breakdown who can apply and how schools can use their funds below.
Who can apply and how?
The grant is open to education service centers and districts, K-12 schools, chartered non-public schools, STEM school districts, and schools that are operated by county boards of developmental disabilities.
Eligible schools can apply on the Ohio Grants Portal. Applications opened December 1, 2021, and close on February 28, 2022. Applicants must submit a brief questionnaire that includes a project description. When writing your description, you should:
- summarize the project’s significance, how it will impact your school community, and what problem(s) this project will solve
- illustrate exactly how the funding will help you succeed
- detail each stage of the project in a timeline
- include measurable goals, objectives, and a mission statement
- support your narrative with data, research, and case studies
How much can a school be awarded?
Schools can receive $2,500.00 or $5.50 per student, whichever amount is greater. Matching is not required.
What can schools purchase with the funds?
Although schools have flexibility in determining what to purchase, the funds must be used to improve school safety. This includes using funds for:
- School safety software, like visitor, volunteer, and emergency management systems
- Active shooter training and equipment needed to respond to such incidents
- Training staff and students on emergency plans and protocols
- Educational resources for students
- Training school resource officers
- Any other training or equipment related to school safety
How can I improve my chances of award?
Raptor provides integrated visitor, volunteer, and emergency management software that can give you complete control over your school security. When you purchase Raptor, you also receive free age-appropriate Active Shooter Training from Safe Kids, Inc.
Raptor funding experts are available to help throughout the grant process—just fill out this form to get started.